Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

This book is marvelous. It's a short, easy read - slow readers can finish it in two hours. It's one of my favorites and I'm surprised I haven't posted about it yet. I'm told this book was quite popular during my siblings growing up years (so during the 70's), and I'm not surprised. It has a great story line with a great message. I'm interested to hear people's favorite parts of this book. So perhaps those who've not yet read it shouldn't read the comments as it may contain small spoilers as people share their favorite parts.

2 comments:

Matt Parks said...

It's hard for me to choose a favorite part.

* The most memorable for me is the quote about space and time being overcome. That for me is a very satisfactory answer to the many unknowns, what-if's, and what-about's of how eternal relationships will play out.

* This book also helped my self-esteem when I was younger, for I was quite the picked-on child. The self-confidence he maintained throughout his 'first' life despite being cast out was, for me, a strength.

* And I can't help but like the part toward the end where the apprentice seagull is told - We don't learn about flying through solid rock until a bit later. The tone of it - I find it most amusing.

I just love that book!

Emily said...

Yeah it was okay. Mostly I felt that it was Hippie Propaganda. Sorry I didn't love it as much as you did Matt. Although I liked parts, as a whole, I felt very "whatever" about it.