Thursday, December 6, 2007

1776; David McCullough

So I have finally slowed down in my reading. I think my day to day routine has been evolving since Amy was born. And I had that stage of ferocious reading late into the night. The last couple of weeks, I've read at a more casual pace. I have been listening to 1776 on CD for some time. It took quite a while because at first Matt and I were listening to it together just when we got the chance. But we were never going to finish in time if I waited for him. (It was due today!) I really enjoyed this book, obviously about the Revolutionary War. I recommend listening to it on CD rather than reading it because it starts a little slow in my opinion (and Matt's). But it is interesting and insightful. It shows a lot of what George Washington was like and what many others on both sides were like. I highly recommend it. And so does President Samuelson. At his beginning of Fall Semester Devotional this year he encouraged students to read a few books. This was one of them. Even though I am not a student any more, I figured that if President Samuelson thinks this is an important book. I want to read it too. So I did. The end.

3 comments:

Large Marge said...

Sorry, I thought this book was a yawn. The history in it was pretty valuable, and a year later, I actually remember some of what I read. But I still found it boring. Though I have to say that I'm whatever the opposite of a history buff is.

Bonnie Parks said...

You should have listened on CD. Then you can tune out every once in a while if you get bored. Really that helped. Still I think it was interesting.

Emily said...

We listened to it on CD on our drive back to Utah after Christmas. I have to admit, I had a hard time paying attention. I thought it was interesting when I did catch something, but I don't think I'll ever read it again!