Sunday, January 6, 2008

Laurel's 2007 Reading Log

OK 2007 is officially over, so I can tally the books I read this year. The total is 95 (17 more than I read in 2005, but 37 fewer than I read in 2006, the year that included bed rest).

Here are some of my favorites from 2007:

  • The Midnighters series by Scott Westerfeld (author of "Uglies)
  • "The Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini (heartbreaking but beautifully written fiction about life in Afghanistan under the Taliban)
  • "The 5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman
  • "My Name is Asher Lev" by Chaim Potok (again, I can't help it - it's literally my favorite book)
  • "Marley and Me" by John Grogan (living with the world's worst dog)
  • "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey
  • All the Harry Potters by J.K. Rowling
  • The Fairy Realm series by Emily Rodda (wonderful original fairy tales for young s)
  • "Stargirl" and "Love, Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli
  • The "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyer
  • "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson (sophisticated fantasy adventure)
  • The "Rowan" series by Emily Rodda (wonderful fantasy adventure for boys)
  • The "Fablehaven" series and "The Candy Shop Wars" by Brandon Mull (excellent young fantasy adventure)
  • "Complications" and "Better" by Atul Gawande (fascinating nonfiction written by a doctor, about why it's hard to be a good doctor)
  • "Peter and the Starcatchers" by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson (new prequel to Peter Pan - I listened to this on CD and Tyler was riveted)
  • The "Uglies" series by Scott Westerfeld (I'd read the first 3 before, but book 4 just came out)
  • "Book of a Thousand Days" by Shannon Hale (author of "Goose ")

Well, that's a hefty list. It should be enough recommendations to get anyone through a reading slump.

4 comments:

Large Marge said...

My internet filter blocked some of the words I typed: f a n t a s y and "The Goose G i r l", and somehow, the "a" in adventure.

Bonnie Parks said...

for those of you who don't know Laurel (Large Marge), Tyler is her 8-year-old. So that comment about Tyler being riveted implies that the book would be fascinating for eight-year-old boys. But if you are like Laurel and me, you often like reading books that would appeal to children.

Emily said...

I'd like to hear more about the Rowan series. What is it about and that type of thing. I've only heard the name, but always in good context.

Large Marge said...

The Rowan series is the fairly typical story where a group of characters set off on a quest, guided by a cryptic poem that becomes clear as they approach each step of the adventure described by a line of the poem. What makes it stand out is the talent of the author (Emily Rodda) for word choice and characterization. Her stories are imaginative, but more than that, her words are a pleasure to read. I'm on my 17th book by her in the last year and I've loved every one. She is just a wonderful author. My husband and I are now reading the Deltora Quest series by her and loving it just as much. The other series I read was the Fairy Realm series for younger girls. It was also wonderful. Hooray for new favorite authors!