Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Children of the Promise, Hearts of the Children; by Dean Hughes

I've wanted to read these books for years but never did. I finally read them and loved them. It's important to read the Children of the Promise Series first and the Hearts of the Children. I read the wrong series first which bothered me quite a bit. Still I loved these books. Children of the Promise was my favorite of the two series, but both were good. A few of the characters that showed up in Hearts of the Children just drove me nuts sometimes. Because they are so good, and because between the two series there are 10 books with about 500 pages each, by the time I was done, I was very sad to have to say goodbye. In fact, soon after I finished the last book, I dreamed about the Thomas family. I was there at one of their family get-togethers. Children of the Promise takes place a little before, during, and a little after World War II and focuses on how the war affects all the members of the Thomas family. Hearts of the Children series is from the point of view of the oldest child of 4 of the main characters of the Children of the Promise series starting in their teens and covering 10 years or so. They are LDS historical fiction. I only have one bad thing to say about the overall experience of reading these wonderful books. At times it was very difficult for me to get anything done as I could not put these books down. Read them if you haven't.

1 comments:

Emily said...

I haven't read the Hearts of the Children, but if you say that some of the characters in it annoyed you because they were too good then there's no way I'm ever going to. Although I love and adore Children of Promise, there were moments when I wanted to scream that no one could be that good all the time.