Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

"It is seen as the archetypal modern African novel in English, and one of the first African novels written in English to receive global critical acclaim." - Wikipedia
So yeah, it's heralded as a great literary work, but to be entirely honest, I'm not really into "the arts" and what critics say about things, so here's my two bits. The book is full of simile's - like FULL of them. Everything is like something else. Everything. I'm not trying to overly criticize - in fact I think this is actually one of the reasons that it's so acclaimed, but it did get a bit old to me. Overall the book was really quite interesting and good. The plot is about an African tribe and Christian missionaries who come. It's been a while since I read it but I remember that I liked it until the end, which was not bad, but it was just really weird. I hope that's not telling to much. Anyway, I give it a "If you decide to take the time to read it, you'll probably enjoy it" rating.

1 comments:

Jason said...

Great book. I would very much recommend it. I read this as an undergrad as a required read for one of the gen ed history classes. Fascinating take on initial contact with white Europeans and the subsequent disintegration of traditional practices and roles.